Friday, June 6, 2014

Breastfeeding 101

Ive heard so many stories of Mommies wanting to breastfeed but having this issue or that issue and stopping. So I want to address some basic breastfeeding issues to encourage you all and give some tips to help things to go smoother for new and expecting Mommy's.

First off, the labor and birthing process is also strenuous on baby. Whether you have an all natural labor, or an emergency c section, Labor is tough on baby's and when we introduce med's, they can effect our baby's also. This can  make baby appear and act very tired and fatigued immediately after birth, which can delay your nursing relationship. Whatever happens, after birth, get baby to latch immediately. Things that will help to get baby to latch right away will be getting baby doing skin to skin, and making the environment quiet and calm.  You may have to ask your nursing staff and family to leave at this point. You have every right to ask for an hour of bonding time with your baby after their birth.
Sometimes, positioning is very difficult to figure out at first. Find a position in which you are comfortable and feel as though you can control baby, as well as a position in which your baby can latch appropriately. I used a pillow against my stomach and laid baby on it while having the head of the bed up so I was in a semi reclined position. I personally find that the Cradle and Crosscradle position work best for me in the first 3-4 weeks.

A major concern I hear is that while in the hospital, the staff, the nurse, family, or whoever, gets concerned that baby isn't getting any milk from mom because "her milk hasn't come in". First thing I need to address is that for the rest of your life, you are going to have someone trying to tell you what you should do/what they did/question what you are doing...As a parent, you will get the most unwelcomed advise you've ever wanted (or didn't want).  This is something you should get used to, and figure out how you'd like to handle it. I personally have no problem when people have a different opinion than mine. I listened to different opinions and concerns for the first probably year of my son's life. Then I just got tired of it. I would politely tell people "thanks but we are doing it this way". I think that response had decreased the amount of "advise" I get and I was pleasantly surprised. I do not know everything and I often need to ask questions and get others' prospective. But if I don't ask, I probably don't want advise.

OK so back to the first days...The entire breast production/milk system is a beautifully designed system. I wont go into huge details but certain hormones from the labor and birth process trigger production of colostrum and milk production as well as when your baby first latches, their saliva triggers either colostrum in the first few days, or after your milk 'comes in', it triggers milk production to the level of your baby's satisfaction. If in the first few days of your baby's life, you succumb to allowing formula to supplement, your baby will not nurse for long on your breast which will not trigger the production of the amount of milk your baby needs, because they are already full on formula. Your body is creating just the right amount of colostrum your baby needs for the first few days. And if your body ISN'T producing the right amount, having baby nurse triggers your body to make more. Its actually a really easy formula (for lack of better words). Baby is hungry = nurse. Not enough milk = nurse. The solution is always to nurse!

Another problem with bottle feeding in general, is that formula or breast milk comes out much faster in a bottle than it does at the breast, so if there is continued bottle feeding in the first 2 months of baby's life, they will begin to prefer the bottle and not nurse as long = less milk production which can lead to the common complaint I hear of "I just magically dried up one day".

There are times when nursing can become painful. There may be issues with your baby's latch that cause you pain. If you cannot change positions and figure out how to get rid of the pain, consider seeing a Lactation Consultant. There is a great place in Massillon Ohio called The Breastfeeding Center. Their consultation costs $30 and you can go back as many times as you need for that price. A can of formula cost more than that. Spending that $30 on a consultation can fix your breastfeeding issues will save you TONS of money in the future on formula if you don't get the help.

And lastly feeding on a schedule really helps to regulate so your body knows when to produce and how much. I aimed for feeding every 2.5 hours for the first month of my son's life. With my daughter she wasn't as *into* nursing as he was, and so I started her every 3 hours. If I had to go somewhere (grocery store, appointment etc) I'd schedule it right after I would nurse her if I had to leave her, but I tried to never have to leave her. If I ever had to be away from her at a time where I would normally nurse her, I pumped instead. This is key to keeping your supply. You cant give breast milk while you are gone and not express milk from yourself and expect your supply to maintain the same milk production your baby needs.

Milk production works on supply and demand. So nurse your baby whenever he/she wants to nurse and aim for every 3 hours at least. If baby is asleep for more than 3 hours (during the day), I personally woke them up to nurse. This gave me longer stretches of sleep at night too and kept my babies from getting their days and nights mixed up, but that's a blog for another time.

Please feel free to ask me any question you have and please share this information so that other expectant mommies can get the best start in their breastfeeding relationships with their little ones. God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment